Sunday, September 14, 2008

Riding in Pinewood



We went to bed on Saturday as it was just starting to rain....didn't think much about it until we woke up to wet, cold and overcast weather. Carey assured us that it was supposed to burn off in the afternoon so we got up, made some coffee and breakfast. We met Carey, Craig and their friend Jim in Lyons before heading up towards Estes.

After a quick climb up a fire road we hit the singletrack. What an amazing tight and twisty trail, we even got to ride a freshly cut trail that we could barely follow. It was such a strange area with slickrock type out croppings to sand to pine needle covered ground and after the rain the dirt was nice and tacky.






We rode for about 4 hours with stops to eat and either put on more clothes or take them off. It was one of those chilly days that once you stopped you got cold but once you started riding you started sweating.

We only saw one other group of people that Jim knew from work (one of the guys actually had a Kowa fork!) and we saw Dave & his dog Dorji on our way back to the car. Other than that, we had the entire area for ourselves :)

Can't wait to go back there! Thanks to Jim for showing us around the newly cut trail and thanks to Carey & Craig for inviting us!

That'll probably be it for us and riding until after the move :( but it's so worth it, luckily in a couple weeks we'll be heading out to Moab with Carey & Craig for a camping/riding weekend....we'll be hitting up Hazard County before the snow hits. Yeehaw! Dan will be leaving for Salida tomorrow morning to hit up Monarch Crest with the UBikes crew, lucky him!


More pics here (double click on the picture)



-Kim

3 comments:

Carey said...

Great pics and you even put the lugi up, ooooh. I was too lazy and tired last night to post a thing, I'll do it this evening.
Glad you enjoyed PW, it was a lot of fun and I want to get back up there again, do the other lolli. It a challanging ride I think, keeps you honest and a lot of climbing. My knees were hurting last night, I think it was from all the power moves up onto and over rocks. I think I'll eat better next time..
I'll look forward to Moab with you two, it should be a great time!

Kim said...

Maybe we can sneak a quickie ride in next week before you're Open Studio....

Moab will be so much fun! We haven't camped all year :( Next year though....many many more camping weekends are in store for all of us :)

Carey said...

Yea, I'll keep you posted on any riding and if you and/or Dan can make it inbetween house stuff just let me know. Or give me a call if you're thinking of doing something..I'm sure I'll have a few hours here and there to goof off.
I'm looking forward to getting away and camping too. SE Utah is one of my favorite places to be, it always restores me and it's so much fun.