Monday, May 12, 2008

Sunday's Death March


Sunday we headed out to ride Zippety Do Dah. I woke up tired and cranky but thought that getting on the bike would snap me out of it. Unfortunately, it didn't...I was tired and didn't have the desire to climb or push through any of tough sections and for some reason my nerves were getting to me.

Zippety Do Dah was still fun as always, amazing views that show the trail going on forever along the ridge. I got really spooked out on a steep roll in and came to a sliding stop before committing to it and just stood there over my bike. I started to walk down but Dan yelled at me and called me a chicken and told me I was making it worse. I stopped, turned around, took a deep breath and rode it. At least he knows my ability even when I'm having a bad day.

Dan on a super steep roll in...of course, steeper than it looks.



Amazing trail views




We had to ride Prime Cut twice, once getting to Zippety Do Dah and once getting to Kessel Run, there was lots of traffic out there, more than I've ever seen. The steep rock face got to me on the first lap and left me a little shaky afterwards. I tried it about 4 times but just couldn't commit to getting up and over it so I just gave up. The second time through, I didn't even think about it and got up and over it, actually I dabbed at the very very top but my front tire made it to the dirt so I'll take it. I think Dan was pretty shocked that I made it up on the first try because he just stood there with his arms up in the air shaking his head.

After that we headed over to Kessell Run for some slalom fun...I could ride this trail all day it's so much fun.

We had planned on riding Joe's Ridge after that but, I hate to admit this, I was getting bored with the trails out there. After riding gnarly techy rocky trails for the last 2 days...I wanted more of the same even as tired as I was. So we decided to go back over to the Kokopelli side and ride Moore Fun.

We decided to ride Moore Fun clockwise, not my favorite way but our plan was to ride it up and then back, but after getting on the trail I knew I would never make it back. I was tired and didn't have the desire or care to climb anything so I ended up pushing up most of the stuff. I didn't really care because I don't ride Moore Fun for the climbs. Luckily, once we started descending the techy stuff, I felt much better....better enough that when we finished we decided to ride Mary's back to the trailhead.

Dan at the top of Moore Fun


After a shower and some awesome Mexican food, we crashed. I was toast.

-Kim

No comments: