Monday, May 12, 2008

Saturday - Grand Juntion with our tour guide Cynthia

We had plans to shuttle Free Lunch with Dave and a few people from mtbr but after hanging out with Cynthia the night before we decided to do a XC ride with her and explore the trails in Grand Junction since we've never ridden out there. So, first thing in the morning, we headed into Grand Junction for breakfast. Cynthia took us to an awesome breakfast place that had amazing pancakes.

Don't let Cynthia fool you, she's an amazing rider, she's fast and can handle her way down rocks. I think Dan may have given her some suggestions on how to turn her Seven into a nice full suspension bike...one that is a little more forgiving than her hardtail. But even on her hardtail, she impressed me! It was nice riding with a girl that can actually ride and enjoy it!

First trail we rode was the Gunny Loop...fun fun trail.

Cynthia descending on the Gunny Loop

Dan descending on the Gunny Loop

Me on a steep roll in on the Gunny Loop...Holy Shit I think it's called. Way steeper than it looks!

After that we headed back to the trailhead for a quick snack and then back out to Pet E Kes. This trail was kinda scary on narrow tight twisty singletrack with lots o climbs...sorry no pics.


Bye Cynthia! It's amazing how the Internet, forums and blog sites can bring people together. I hope we can hang out and ride more with you and I'm definitely going to become a regular on the Tuesday Night Girls Ride!

After saying goodbye, Dan and I headed out to Holy Cross. Wow, is all I can say. Super challenging singletrack with rocks and tight turns with rock out croppings. I didn't know you had to be a contortionist to ride a bike.




When we got done riding the Gunny Loop, Dan was eyeing this trail called Bentinite or something like that...it's not in my guidebook and it's more of a freeride play area than a trail. It has a steep rocky roll in at the top and a small drop into a super steep loose section with a bunch of high speed rollers and jumps after that.

After Holy Cross we dropped into that section and had some high speed fun. After the second drop in, I kinda sketched out grabbing too much rear brake and ended up sliding sideways on the gravel and scraping my leg but nothing too bloody.

We got back to the trailhead and the people that we were supposed to shuttle with were there. We had a sandwich and a beer and they decided to head out to Free Lunch, turns out they only rode the Ribbon Trail and had never gotten out to Free Lunch yet. The beer went straight to my head so I decided to shuttle them up and relax until they got back. Dan said it was a pretty techy trail that was best suited for a full on DH bike....I'm kinda glad I opted out of that run since I only had my 5.5.

-Kim

No comments: