Friday, January 11, 2008

You won't be spun out today

That was my text message to Dan this morning after I had gotten to work. Man, it was windy! I've lived in Chicago and commuted there as well, it is a pretty windy city because of the lake and the tall buildings but the longer I live here I'm almost convinced that Boulder is deserving of "The Windy City" title as well. I didn't have that far of a commute when I lived in Chicago so I just had flat pedals and wore regular skate shoes. On one particularly windy morning, I came into an intersection and got blown off my bike. Not the fall to the ground blown off but knocked sideways enough I had to put my foot down...good thing I wasn't clipped in or I probably would have fallen to the ground.

Another funny story, a couple years ago we did a Super Walker ride in the spring and right when we were getting to the dirt road leading to the trailhead, just as we were making the turn onto the dirt road a big gust of wind hit us and totally knocked one of the guys we were riding with to the ground...heee heee....he was a skinny little thing.

For me, wind is evil. It can turn a normal commute into a test of will and strength. At times I don't know whether to laugh or pull over and start sobbing. Cross winds are just plain scary because you never now when that big gust of wind will knock you over into a car. Head winds are annoying and make me very very angry, especially on my commute home when I'm usually more tired than in the morning. Tail winds...well tail winds are a blessing.

I'm hoping for a nice tail wind on my way home!

Happy Margarita Friday everyone! In my house, every Friday is Margarita Friday :)

-Kim

No comments: