Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Back in the saddle

Yesterday was the first time back at commuting to work after taking most of December off. With all the snow we've gotten and all the running around for Christmas, commuting hasn't been happening. Luckily the bike lanes were cleared off enough to start up again.


I took the MTB commuter out for it's first voyage to work with me....let me tell you, those knobby tires and suspension fork make it the most inefficient commuter I've ever riden. At least I felt safe if I hit a patch of ice or had to ride through some snow.


It was a chilly 18 degree's outside but with my new gear I got from Dan, I didn't feel cold at all. The Pearl Izumi InsulaTour Jacket is warm and it's looks really good, I can wear it just as a jacket as well as a riding jacket.


The AmFib gloves have always been my favorites and the AmFib Mountain Shoe Covers should keep out the muck from the melting snow.


I probably should have put the Moose Mits on the bike but my fingers stayed toasty until I hit Boulder and the winds were picking up. Next year I'm asking for some Lake Winter Riding Boots so I don't have to wear multiple layers of booties. Although the new rubber one's worked surprising well. The gloves and booties are both rated for 10 degree weather.

Fortunately for me Dan got out of work at 5pm yesterday so I was able to ride over to the bike shop in Boulder and catch a ride from him. The winds were gusting up to 60mph and with the temps in the teens....it wasn't a very pleasant environment to be riding home in. The winds and cold temps also spoiled out plans of a midnight snow ride for New Years,

Oh well....the temps are supposed to be in the 40's the rest of the week and in the 50's all weekend, hopefully we'll be able to get out on the CX bikes.

-Kim

1 comment:

paula said...

Sweet jacket! I almost bought the same one.