Thursday, January 31, 2008

3" of fresh snow


This is what my shoe cover looked like after my ride home last night....as well as the entire front of me.

The snow started coming down just as I left work yesterday at 4pm. At first it was really light snow, not that big of a deal but as I got onto the bike path it immediately started snowing harder and the head wind was making it much worse with hard, ice like snow pelting me in the face. I decided to pull over and put on my balaclava and goggles, I was so happy I put my goggles in my pack that morning, they make all the difference when it's snowing outside. After that, my head was warm and my face wasn't hurting and I didn't have to deal with the icy snow jabbing me in the eyes. Luckily the snow wasn't sticking, it was however pretty wet and slushy and the next time I went to wipe my nose with my gloves I got a mouth full of dirt and grit, yuck! I looked down and both my gloves were covered with muck from the wet roads and it was starting to freeze on my gloves. My legs, jacket and shoe covers were coated with a nice layer of muck also, unfortunately my front fenders don't really do the trick. I always curse myself when it's raining or wet out for buying a front fender that only covers the back of my tire and not the front as well. I made a mental note to grab the towel by the front door to wipe myself down before stepping into the house.

By the time I got home the snow was starting to stick and was coming down in wet heavy flakes. I called Dan and told him that if he needed a ride home I could come and get him but he was convinced he could ride home....even though he said Boulder was already covered in about 2". By 6pm we had 2" where we live and it was still coming down pretty hard. I started to call Dan again but decided to check the basement to see what bike he had rode in, if he had his CX bike I'd call, if he rode his Indy in I wouldn't....at least he'd be on a mountain bike with knobbies and he'd have more traction. He had his Indy. By 7:30 the snow had tappered off so I decided to go outside and shovel and discovered that underneath all that snow was a slushy layer of really slippery snow....now I was a little worried because Dan wasn't home yet and it was probably around 7:45, just about the time he should be getting home. By the time I had finished shoveling it was 8pm and where I shoveled, it was starting to freeze. I decided to leash up Patch and start walking towards where Dan would be coming from. Just as I stepped off the driveway, I saw his headlight and saw he had a huge grin on his face. All he said was that he had the best time riding home. Insane! I recall getting stuck in storms on my way home and it completely sucks! If you can't find fresh snow to ride in and are forced to ride in car tracks, it's almost certain death because you're all over the place. He said the roads were so bad that he was actually passing cars.....I was just happy he was home.

Oh well, it's supposed to be in the upper 30's today and with the sun, a lot of the snow will melt off the roads by tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that we don't get anymore on Friday like they're prediciting.

I'm so done with winter....I can't wait to do a little bit of this.



And I can't wait to watch Dan do a little bit of this

No comments: