Sunday, August 24, 2008

Keystone on Saturday


We headed up to Keystone on Saturday. I finally got to meet Carey, who I met through my blog. She's an amazing technical rider.....she nailed the switchback first time on Helter! I'm looking forward to many more riding days with her!

Cary on the Helter switchback


Dan had no problem with the switchback either


Carey on the entry of Skelter


Craig on the entry of Skelter



Unfortunately the clouds rolled in around 2 and there were rumors the lifts were going to get shut down while we were having lunch so we hurried up to get back out there. Things started off good, then Cynthia crashed pretty hard in the rockgarden on Cowboy Up...she took a pretty hard fall on the rocks but was okay to push on. We hit TNT and after Fuzzy Bunny, we stopped to regroup and 2 guys came up and asked if we were riding with a girl in a red and black jersey, which was Carey. They said she took a really hard fall off the ladder bridge midway down TNT. They said she seemed okay but was sitting down trying to figure out what had happened. Cynthia stopped and helped her and her husband Craig immediately started riding back up to see what had happened. When they got back down to us, she wasn't doing too good...she took the fall straght to her chin. She had memory loss and was really dizzy so I told the rest of the people we were with to ride on and I would stay and get her down. I wanted to get down to the lifts and have the patrol come get her but she said she could at least ride the access road down. We got her down and had her checked out by the medics, they were confident that she didn't need to go to the emergency room but they told her to take it easy and that she would have to be woken up every couple of hours just in case....lucky her :(

Here's the damage



Unfortunately we didn't really get to ride with Cynthia and Dave since they ran late in the morning and got there after us but we got to hang out with them for a bit after we were done riding. Dave made it down the triple step on Wild Thing and Cynthia rolled the big rock after the triple step! Nice job!

I think we'll be up there again next weekend, Dan's brother has the condo and will be up there for the Sol Vista G3 race and our friend Aaron will be up there as well for the Winter Park race. So why not stay up there all weekend and ride Keystone :)

More pics here



-Kim

3 comments:

Carey said...

Hey Kim,
Nice pics, glad you took them.
What a great day of riding, unfortunate that I had to deck there at the end. We figured out though that the concussion wasn't from the chin impacting. We looked at the helmet and I actually landed on the left side of my head/helmet up where the visor attaches to the helmet. I cracked the visor there and there are some scuff marks on the surface of the helmet. The chin contusion was from the helmet twisting on impact and whacking me on the chin so to speak. It makes more sense now. There are no cracks in the helmet surface or the foam core of the helmet, amazing! Can't wait to get back on my bike but it may be a little while till things clear up.
Thanks again.

Kim said...

Good thing you were wearing your full face, remember the kid we saw while we were riding up the chairlift before that run....bet he had a broken nose.

Lay low, heal quick....hopefully you'll be back on your bike soon, giving us a tour of your backyard ;)

Carey said...

Thanks Kim. Had a follow-up with the doc today, she said I should probably wait a couple of weeks before I get on the bike and it would probably be a month before I felt like myself. She said I was lucky to not have lost any teeth..love the FF..
Yeah, we'll have to have a session at the house when I'm back at it.
Talk with you soon!