Tuesday, January 6, 2009

3000 miles, 38 hrs of driving and 5 lbs later

We're back from Christmas time with our families. We hung out with our friends, hung out with our families, made some plans and ate way too much food! Every single part of the 10 days we spent at home was so enjoyable. We ran everyday and sat on the couch and rested and soaked in the down time.

I haven't had 10 days off like that in so long. Usually when we go home it's in the summertime and every ounce of free time is spent on the bikes. This time, every ounce was either spent on the couch or in bed....loved it!

Hopefully we've planted some seeds, some plans have been made and come August....we may be back there for good! Our dreams of owning a house on a lake may actually come true! The housing market is so low that we can get into a brand new 2500 sq ft house on a lake if we really wanted to, an opportunity like that is hard to pass up.

I know we're crazy for wanting to leave Colorado, the weather is fantastic, the riding is epic and we've made some great friends. But it's just not home and we are realizing that our families are the most important thing in our lives and they won't be with us forever and we need to soak up all the time we can get with them and buy our dream house and maybe start our own family...eventually.....maybe....maybe.

We need to look to the future and set our plans into motion and enjoy every ounce of Colorado that we can.

But for now, we're here and who knows, the small (I mean super teeny tiny) seed that we planted may not work out. After all, the economy is crap in Michigan and the jobs are hard to come by.

-Kim

6 comments:

Carey said...

It's a blessing to know what you want in your life and to follow that. I truly hope you and Dan can get it all!

Itty Bitty Betty said...

It takes guts to make a big change like you are thinking; most people would avoid it and then be unhappy. We'll miss you here for sure and some of us may think you're crazy for wanting to leave ;), but you need to do what truly makes you happy.

Mark Roberg said...

I hope you're not talking about Pontiac Lake, b/c you might get disturbed every now and then by the planes constantly taking off and landing there, and all the gunfire during hunting season!

Just kidding! your plan sounds extremely cool, and I agree with you about being far away from family. It hurts them more than it hurts you when you are so far away.

But hey, you could always get a big mural of red rocks and desert scapes on one of your walls to remind you of the cool places on this earth!

When you're ready to start a family, give me a holler. I might know a thing or two about that. *wink wink*

Kim said...

We're just trying to figure stuff out right now. Should we really make a lifestyle change in order to be close to our family or should we enjoy what we have here and deal with it...who knows (we do have a pretty kick butt life out here in Colorado!). But if nothing gets offered to us in Michigan than we're staying put!

Maybe we'll start looking for a place to live out by you Carey :) I've about had it with the all night parties and college kids these days!

brg said...

no matter what happens i'm glad we became friends - you and dan are very special people.

From the day i met you - you have always talked of your love for your family and MI - so I hope you guys get everything you want...

MTB'in said...

Dan & Kim or Kim & Dan –

I just wanted to say I enjoy reading your blog and seeing the new updates regarding mountain biking or riding the Yamaha’s.

So after reading this section of your blog, I too been contemplating about leaving my family (parents / cousins) here in Austin so I can get back to Colorado (with my wife & two children). Ever since we left, I just missing being out there!

So back on topic, I just wanted to add that I too as a parent, I can tell you it really is a blessing to have parents around to help with little one’s, especially when they are not in school. Day care on average is about $200 a week. I know a friend that is expecting twins and her lowest quote was $900 a month. Crazy, huh?

Either way, I congratulate you two and hope the direction you go is the right one. Which I am sure either way is a win, win.