Sunday, January 18, 2009

Lazy Saturday with many activities thrown in

Saturday morning found us lounging around, drinking coffee and eating breakfast burrito's. We didn't have a clue what we wanted to do that day and we didn't really feel like doing anything.

After a while, the boy started getting annoying so we decided to take him out for a hike. It was so nice outside that the short 1/2 hour hike turned into an over an hour hike with a very tired doggie dog!

While we were out walking we decided to go on a run and then get Dan's new fixie out for a spin. Yay! It's still in the "final touch" stage but it's going to be a pretty kick butt theme bike! While we were running, Dan mentioned how all he had to do to turn my bike into a fixie is switch the rear hub around...oh dear! I agreed but I really nervous!

Getting on the bike with moving cranks was pretty weird and then accidentally trying to coast when you can't is also a weird feeling but I was pretty amazed at how in control you are of your speed. I didn't once panic and use my brakes (we haven't taken them off yet but I'm sure they'll be off after a week or so of riding it). First lesson was skid stopping, at first I was clueless and thought I'd never get it but after trying it a few times and getting comfortable getting my weight totally over me bars and getting my legs completely up against the bars it was pretty easy to lock your legs and force the rear wheel to skid. I was so STOKED!!!!

Then we hit the hills and I found that it's really easy to control your speed by back pedaling....it was actually really cool being able to slow down that way!

Now I need to learn to track stand. Not there yet, as soon as I stop my first instinct is to put my foot down instead of trying to balance my pedals out. It's pretty tricky making sure your pedals are parallel to the ground and it's a weird feeling pushing back and forth on your pedals while trying to balance....it'll take a long time to get it.

I'm going to keep it a fixie this week and see how I like it. I'm fearing my legs being incredibly sore come next Friday!

Later that night we went to a little shin dig bday party for a friend :)


More pics of the bday event here:


Sunday Sunday Sunday......we're riding!!!! Yay! And them barbecuing some brats!!!! Gotta love the 60 degree weather we're having in January!!!

No comments: