Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Looking for a new bike

So I finally admitted to Dan this weekend that the 6.6 is a little too much bike for me :( I'm still having problems climbing with the 30lb bike, problems that I've never had before and it's starting to make me sad. I love the way the bike handles the descents but the climbs are another story, it's really hard for me to get my front end up and over ledges and I'm totally sick of bashing my knee's on the top tube! Living where we do, the bike you ride MUST climb and I admit that I do not like having to walk up stuff I KNOW I can clean....so the search is on.

I'm going to demo a medium Specialized Safire (hopefully this weekend) and maybe a Trek and maybe a Yeti and maybe a Titus. I want to try something that doesn't use the VPP system.

Suggestions are welcome!

The bike must have 5" of travel and be under 30lbs and climb and descend effortlessly :)

No XC racer bikes....no spandex will EVER touch this bike!

-Kim

5 comments:

Carey said...

That makes sense. I can tell having added my new talas to my bike that I'm having to push a little harder with my legs climbing and I've wondered about how I'll be climbing technical trails with it, there's a fine line with weight. Anyway, good luck with your search, I know you'll find what you're looking for.

brg said...

being a weight weenie i understand.

you do rock it up the climbs with that 33lb bike tho. You were pretty much keeping up with Jeny at GGSP.

If you drop a few lbs off your bike you will definitely be unstoppable.

i'm kinda in the same boat as you - I love the wide wheelbase and suspension of the Safire but lugging 24% of your bodyweight up a hill surely sux!

Unknown said...

You're welcome to try my Intense 5.5, but probably not a huge difference from the 6.6.

If you're struggling on the 6.6 I'm gonna hate to see you on a lighter bike. You're a hell of a rider, girly.

Dave

Kim said...

Dave, I had a 5.5 previously and loved it but the geometry changed a lot going to the 6.6 and I think I'm have issues with the slacker positioning.

I asked Dan about putting the 6.6 on a diet and he said it'll help with the weigh but it won't take away the issues I'm really having with it.

I'm excited to ride the Safire this weekend and will probably demo the same Trek that Dan has as well but just lifting up the Safire I'm amazed at how much lighter it is!

Itty Bitty Betty said...

Shoot! If you get a lighter bike, I'll never be able to catch you!